My shopping cart
Your cart is currently empty.Continue Shopping
Here is Mel's Midsummer Cake recipe!
I can tell you its absolutely delicious. Moist but not too heavy and the cream cheese frosting is divine.
Give it a go and post your thoughts and pictures in the comments. We love seeing what you all make!
420g plain Flour
1 tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
300g Caster sugar
300ml Greek style yogurt
180ml lemon juice
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
80 ml Melted butter
1 tbsp lemon zest
400g summer fruits frozen or fresh (swap with fruits of your choice or in season)
80g Caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp water
250g butter( room temp)
250g cream cheese
200g Icing sugar sifted
food colouring (optional)
How to make......
1. Preheat oven 350 f / 175 C
2. Grease and flour 2 loose bottom 8 inch cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
3. Whisk in a large bowl all the dry ingredients which are flour, baking powder ,baking soda, sugar and lemon zest.
4. Mix all the wet ingredients together which are yoghurt,oil, melted butter, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
5. Mix together the wet and dry ingredient until just incorporated don't over mix or it will make for a heavy sponge.
6. Split the mixture evenly between the two pans . Even out the top and bake for 30 minutes approx.
7. Do not over bake they will be dry.
1. Put all the ingredients in a pan.
2. Bring to a biol and stir continuously until the fruit is soft and the sauce is thick.
3. It should coat the back of a spoon.
4. Leave to cool.
1. Whisk the soft butter until light and creamy. (Add food colouring if using).
2. Whisk in cream cheese then the icing sugar. then chill until the cake is ready to decorate at least 1 hour.
Assembling the Cake
1. Cut the cooled cakes in half horizontally.
2. Place the first slice on the decorating plate/ board.
3. Top it with a 1/3 of the Jam then 1/4 of the chilled frosting.
4. Repeat this process for layers 2 and 3.
5. Place the last layer on and ice the top leaving a little icing to spread thinly around the outside of the cake to give the cake look or rustic style.
6. Chill the cake for a couple of hours just to help it firm up and help you when you go to cut into it.
7. Top with fresh fruit of choice.
Store cake in the fridge for up to 3 days .